• 10 Things You Should Never Burn in Your Fireplace

    10 Things You Should Never Burn in Your Fireplace

    Google+TwitterEmailFacebook

    Are you using the right fuel for your fire? A fire fed the right type of fuel will not only last longer but also burn cleaner creating a more comfortable, enjoyable environment inside the home. Conversely starting or maintaining a fire using the wrong materials can lead to excess smoke, a weak flame or even the release of toxic fumes into the living space.

    • Here are 10 things you should never burn in your fireplace:
    • Damp or moldy wood
    • Painted or stained wood
    • Wrapping paper
    • Coal or charcoal
    • Christmas trees or evergreen wreaths and boughs
    • Manufactured wood such as particle board or plywood
    • Colored paper
    • Plastics or chemicals
    • Any type of accelerant including gasoline, kerosene, and lighter fluid
    • Dryer lint

    For a warm, enjoyable fire, it is best to only use dry, seasoned hardwood as the fuel. Softwoods can also be helpful when starting the fire. Using the right wood not only creates a fire that will last for a longer period of time but also one which will create less smoke and by-products such as creosote. Excess creosote within the flue leads to dangerous chimney conditions including the risk of in-home fires.

    Lindemann Chimney Service is dedicated to ensuring our customers have the right fuels to keep the fire burning in their home all season long. That’s why we offer homeowners in Berwyn, Evanston and beyond the Free Firewood for Life program. Simply have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually by one of our certified chimney technicians to qualify. You will then be eligible for up to 36 bags of kiln-dried, high quality Wisconsin hardwood. Contact us today to learn more about this valuable program.

Request A Quote

Schedule An Appointment

Spread The Word


  • linkedin
  • facebook
  • google plus
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • houzz